Katsu chicken, self-explanatory. So delicious! If you don’t want to make the Tonkatsu sauce from scratch, just sub with any BBQ sauce or buy ready-made Tonkatsu sauce.
WATCH VIDEO: if you’re a visual learner, watch me make this Katsu Chicken dish here!
Chicken katsu bowl with slaw, sweet potato salad and rice (easy & crunchy)
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 2½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- White miso (to marinate the chicken. substitute = salt)
- 500-600 g Chicken thighs
- Neutral oil for deep frying (e.g. vegetable, canola, sunflower oil)
Sweet potato salad
- 3 Sweet potatos
- 1 teaspoon Mustard
- ½ cup Kewpie Mayo
- ¼ cup Carrot grated into strips
- 1 teaspoon White vinegar
- Sliced spring onions (a sprinkle)
Rice & slaw
- 1 cup Rice (I recommend Thai Jasmine)
- Slaw (buy ready-made at the supermarket or make your own using red & white cabbage, onions, carrots, radish etc.)
- 1 tablespoon Tomato sauce
- 2½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoon Oyster sauce
- 1½ teaspoon Honey (or sugar)
- Lay your chicken down on a chopping board and cover in glad wrap. Using a meatpounder or the bottom of the saucepan, gently pound the thickest parts of thechicken until ~1½ cm thick. Pounding will ensure the chicken cooks evenly when you deepfry it! Then lather your chicken in miso or simply salt it. Marinate forat least 30 minutes/ideally overnight.
- Start cooking your rice.
- For the potato salad, make pickled carrots by adding vinegar, sugar, salt and grated carrots into a bowl. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Roughly chop potato into smallcubes and boil until soft enough to mash. While that’s cooking, add kewpie mayo, mustard, pickled carrots into a bowl & mix. Add potatoes. Add pickled carrots. Mash. That’s it.
- For the tonkatsu sauce, add all ingredients together in a bowl and whisk
- To crumb your chicken, add (1) panko crumbs (2) flour and (3) eggs (whisked) into 3 separate bowls. Coat the chicken in flour. Coat it in egg wash. Then panko crumbs (press down).
- Pour 1-2cm worth of oil into a pan or pot (ensure big enough for the chicken to submerge under). Turn to medium-high heat. Wait a few minutes for it to get hot. Add chicken into the oil for 3-5 minutes on each side/until golden. Setaside to drain on excess oil on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve your sliced chicken, plate with slaw, potato salad and drizzle with tonkatsu sauce! Sprinkle on sesame seeds & chilli flakes (optional).