Zingy, garlicky, salty, sweet. Chinese Cucumber Salad is one of my favourite side dishes to serve for lunch or dinner. In only 5 minutes, you can whip up something bound to impress your loved ones! I usually dish this up with a meat-heavy meal.
Play around with the ingredient ratios. If you like it sweeter, add more sugar. If you like it extra zingy, pile on that vinegar. I usually eyeball, taste & adjust stick to specific measurements.
It’s so easy!
Chinese smashed cucumber salad
- 1 long Cucumber
- Sesame oil
- Minced garlic
- Chinese black vinegar (substitute: rice vinegar)
- Soy sauce
- Chilli oil (try my homemade chilli oil recipe)
- Sesame seeds (optional, for garnish)
- Using a rolling pin, meat mallet, small bowl or back of your knife, smash the cucumbers, then slice into bite sized pieces and transfer into bigger bowl to toss.
- Add a dash of salt, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of vinegar, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and chilli oil.
- Toss together. Taste, and adjust the seasoning to your liking. If you want it zingier, add more vinegar. If you want it saltier, add more salt/soy sauce. If you want it spicier, more chilli oil and so on.
- Serve immediately!