No words are needed to describe the joy of a crispy, flavour-packed fried chicken. This glaze has Chinese-ish flavours mixing soy, vinegar, sugar and honey together for a sticky sauce to coat the chicken through at the end. The secret to a crispy fried chicken is double-frying. Once in medium heat and then a second time in higher heat to crisp up the skin. Enjoy!
WATCH VIDEO: if you’re a visual learner, watch me make this dish here.
Crispy Fried Chicken with Soy Honey Glaze
- 1 kg Chicken wings and/or legs
- 10 cloves Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Five spice powder
- 8 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 1 Egg
- 2.5 cups Tapioca Starch
- 3 tablespoons Corn starch
- 1.5 tablespoon Honey
- 2.5 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Rice vinegar or Shoaxing wine
- Sesame to garnish
- Coriander to garnish
- Neutral frying oil (e.g. canola oil, vegetable oil, sunflower oil etc.)
Marinate your chicken
- To make your marinade, add minced garlic, five spice powder and soy sauce into a large ziplock bag or container. Add in your chicken. Mix well and set it aside for at least 30 minutes (ideally overnight).
Deep fry your chicken
- To prepare your chicken for deep frying, coat it in the batter. To make the batter, mix egg and corn starch together. Pour into the ziplock bag/container with the chicken. Mix until chicken is fully coated in the batter.
- Next, add tapioca starch into a dish or bowl. Now coat the chicken in the tapioca starch and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- While that's resting, add oil to your pot. Add enough for the chicken to submerge under. Turn the heat to medium high. You're going to fry the chicken twice (1st fry on medium heat and 2nd fry on high heat to crisp up the skin).
- Once the oil is hot, add in the chicken wings and fry for 4-7 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and crispy. Once it is crisp, remove and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Now turn the heat to high. Fry the chicken again for 1-2 minutes to crisp up the skin. Now remove and let it rest while you make the glaze.
- Add honey, soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar to a pan on medium heat. Stir so the sugar and honey dissolve well. Once your sauce starts to thicken to a glaze-like texture, take it off the heat. Add the fried chicken into the pan and coat it with the glaze.
- Garnish with coriander, toasted sesame seeds and beer!!!