I can’t look past a Kingfish Sashimi appetiser on a restaurant menu. There’s almost always some sort of punchy citrusy sauce involved which takes me to my favourite season – Spring – every time!
This Kingfish Sashimi dish is inspired by one of my favourite casual dining Vietnamese restaurants in Auckland, Vietnamese Kitchen in Ponsonby. Fresh, tropical and zingy.
There are 4 key elements:
- Kingfish marinade (lime & coconut milk)
- Dressing (fish sauce, sugar, coconut, lime)
- Avocado Puree (avocado, yoghurt, salt, chilli, lime)
- Garnish (chilli, shiso/radish, corainder, coconut milk)
This will take you 35 mins max. Enjoy!
WATCH VIDEO: if you’re a visual learner, watch me make it here.
Kingfish Ceviche (Coconut, Kaffir Lime, Avocado Puree)
Kingfish marinade (soak the Kingfish in this and remove later)
- 120-150 g Kingfish
- 2 tablespoon Lime juice
- 2 tablespoon Coconut juice or water
- 1 teaspoon Coconut milk
- Fried shallots
- Microgreens (e.g. shiso)
- Kaffir Lime thinly sliced
Zingy dressing (to drizzle onto the final plate)
- 1 teaspoon Fish sauce
- A pinch Salt
- 2 teaspoons Coconut water
- 1½ teaspoons Palm or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lime juice
- A pinch Dried chilli flakes
- ½ Garlic clove minced
- ½ Avocado
- A pinch Sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon Lime Juice
- A teaspoon Olive oil
- A dash Sriracha chilli sauce
- A pinch Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Yoghurt
- Kaffir Lime
- Fried shallots
- First make the zingy dressing to set aside in the fridge. In a pot on the lowest heat, add all the dressing ingredients together. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour into a bowl and pop it into the fridge.
- Next, you'll marinate the Kingfish and set it aside for the flavour to come through. Mix the marinade ingredients together. Add thinly sliced kingfish sashimi into the mix. Set aside while you the avocado puree.
- To make the avocado puree, add all the ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add into a piping bag (see this video for DIY piping bag using a baking sheet). Pop it into the fridge.
- Prepare the garnish. Slice kaffir lime leaves, cucumber, chilli, fried shallots, microgreens.
- Ready to plate up. Remove kingfish from the marinade and place it onto the plate. Generously pour on the zingy dressing onto the Kingfish so it's sitting in a sauce bath. Set it aside for 5 minutes for the flavour to soak through.
- Garnish with chilli flakes, coriander, fried shallots, microgreens and avocado puree. Serve immediately.