These Pork & Prawn Wontons in Homemade Chilli Oil are the ultimate comfort food and something to impress dinner guests with. The Chilli Oil drizzle is to die for. Simply mix my family’s chilli oil with black vinegar, sugar, coriander, spring onion and a little bit of toasted sesame oil.
When I feel like dumplings/wontons for dinner, I usually make a day of it, wrapping them in bulk (100-200 at a time) to freeze for later. I highly recommend this, future you will be grateful, I promise!
WATCH VIDEO: If you’re a visual learner, watch me make it here!
CAN I USE A STORE-BOUGHT CHILLI OIL INSTEAD?
Yes, you can use a store-bought chilli oil, but the key to this dish is my family’s Homemade Sichuan Pepper Chilli Oil recipe which you can make in just 15 minutes. We use a (not so) secret ingredient that adds extra savouriness and crunch… you’ll see when you try it! Like my pickled carrots, this chilli oil is always in the fridge within arm’s reach to add a little *something* to a dish!
To make the chilli drizzle for this dish, simply mix your homemade chilli oil with black vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, spring onion and coriander. Adjust the sauce to your preferred taste.
I like it on the sweeter side, so I add a little bit more sugar to contrast the acidity in the black vinegar & the punchiness of the spice. If you prefer a saltier taste, then reduce the amount of sugar. Play around!
WHAT WONTON WRAPPERS SHOULD I BUY?
If you aren’t making your own wonton skins, you can purchase them at almost any Asian supermarket. Ensure you specifically buy Wonton (not Dumpling) wrappers. They are thinner and a square shape (vs. circular dumpling wrappers). The square shape creates the noodle-like wings in each wonton, so you can slurp it like a noodle. Their thinner skin also soaks up the yummy chilli oil for maximum flavour!
EASY Pork & Prawn Wontons in Homemade Chilli Sauce
- 40 Wonton wrappers
- 250 g Ground Pork
- 100 g Prawns
- 1 tablespoon Minced garlic
- Chives (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Soy sauce
Spicy Sauce Drizzle (1 portion)
- 4 tablespoons Homemade chilli oil link to recipe in body text
- 2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar (substitute: rice wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoons Coriander chopped
- 2 tablespoons Spring onions sliced
- ¼ tablespoon Minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Soy sauce
- Sesame oil a splash
Make Spicy Sauce Drizzle, Set Aside
- Add storebought or homemade chilli oil and other sauce ingredients together. Mix well. Leave aside for serving.
- Taste & adjust seasoning to your preferred level of salt, spice and sugar. I prefer my on the sweeter side, so I tend to add more sugar.
Marinate Pork Filling
- In a bowl with minced pork and prawns, add filling ingredients and mix together. Leave for at least 1 hour to marinate or overnight. The longer the better.
- Add filling to wonton wrapper and fold.
- In a pot of boiling water, add wontons. Cook for 5-7 or until cooked through (they're ready when they rise to the surface!)
- Plate wontons on serving dish
- Drizzle Spicy Sauce generously onto serving dish with wontons. Garnish with fresh coriander and spring onion.