These shortcut egg tarts hit the spot. Shorten the process by using store-bought puff pastry.
Shortcut Egg Tarts
- 4 sheets Puff pastry store bought or homemade
- Flour for dusting
- Melted butter in a small bowl for brushing onto muffin tin
- 2 Egg yolks
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Milk
- ¼ cup Water
- A pinch Salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Using a bowl, cookie cuttter or glass cup, cut your puff pastry into circle shells.
- Lightly brush muffin tin holes with melted butter. Then place your shells into the tin holes. I don't worry too much about them looking exactly the same.
Make your filling
- Whisk the egg yolks, eggs, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Then stir in the milk.
- Transfer the mixture through a strain, into a jug (to ensure the mixture is nice and smooth).
- Fill each pastry shell until it is about 70% full. Don't fill all the way to the top because it will rise while baking and spill.
- Pop them into the oven for 10 minutes/until the filling starts to set. Then turn down to 160°C and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Don't worry if the filling looks super puffed up – this is normal, they will start to deflate after a few minutes.