This Chicken Karaage recipe is by Azabu’s executive chef, Chef Yukio Ozeki and published by Denizen as part of their “Make, Share & Win” competition. Crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside. The best!
The best Chicken Karaage (by Azubu)
- 450g free-range chicken thigh with skin on
- 6g garlic
- 8g ginger
- 20g buttermilk
- 2g ground black pepper
- 2g sea salt
- 100g potato starch
- 1L vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 50g Japanese mayo
- Cut the chicken thigh into bite-sized pieces of about 4cm. Grate the ginger and garlic. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, buttermilk, ginger, garlic, ground black pepper and sea salt. Mix well. Put it in a ziplock bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge when ready to cook. Pour potato starch into a bowl. Coat the marinated chicken in the starch before frying. Work quickly!
- Pour the oil into a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven and heat the oil to 160ºC on medium heat.
- For the first round of deep-frying: Deep fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the outside of the chicken is a light golden colour. Transfer to a wire rack to drain the excess oil. Place in the refrigerator or outside for at least 15 minutes.
- For the second round of deep-frying: Now heat the oil to 175ºC. Deep fry for 2 minutes, or until the skin is a nice golden colour and is crispy. Transfer to a wire rack to drain the excess oil and continue with the remaining chicken.
- Season immediately with sea salt and serve, garnished with spring onion, lemon slices and Japanese mayo.