These sweet-sour Pickled Carrots are a staple in Vietnamese cuisine. There is always a jar of pickled carrots readily available in our fridge. So easy to make and a must-have in our household, these are a necessity for favourites like Banh Mi and nutty dipping sauce for Pork & Prawn Rice Paper Rolls.
ONLY 5 INGREDIENTS REQUIRED
The 5 ingredients you need are carrot, salt, sugar, white vinegar and shallots. Add to a glass jar and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours (ideally overnight). This gives time for the shallot flavour to come through. Shallots add a yummy fragrance to the pickled carrots but if you don’t have shallots, red onions are fine too.
CAN I REDUCE OR SUBSTITUTE THE AMOUNT OF SUGAR?
The amount of sugar makes up the distinguishing flavour, so reducing the amount will lead to a different outcome. I use coconut sugar! You can also use white sugar or brown sugar, just ensure the water is warm enough for the brown sugar to dissolve. Alternatively, agave syrup is a good option too.
If you’re a visual learner, watch me make it here!
Vietnamese Sweet Sour Pickled Carrots (QUICK & EASY)
- Glass Jar
- 5 Carrots (Julienned)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2½ cups White vinegar
- 2 Shallots (substitute: red onion)
- 2 cups Warm Water
- Julienne carrots into long thin slices. Cut shallots into thin slices. Place into a bowl, add salt and toss. The salt will cause carrots & shallots to release liquid at the bottom of the bowl. Leave aside for 10 minutes for this process.
- After 10 minutes, drain the excess liquid.
- Place carrots and shallots into glass jar. Pour in your warm water, salt, white vinegar, sugar. Do not seal the jar yet. Set aside for the water temperature to decrease before popping into the fridge (prevents it from bursting!)
- Seal glass jar and leave in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving. If possible, leave overnight as their flavor will improve with time.
- They should last 4 to 6 weeks in the refrigerator.
If using agave syrup instead of sugar how much would I use? I wouldn’t think it’s one cup but I’ll wait for you to advise. Can’t wait to try this along with the recipe that it came from.
causingastir com says
It is not my first time to pay a quick visit this web site, i am visiting this web page dailly and get good facts from here daily.